Microsoft is about to release their new operating system, and you can find out how to upgrade to Windows 10. Most of us who are using Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 have been the recipients of Microsoft’s “Get Windows 10” advertisement. This ad prompts you to reserve the free upgrade for the new OS (which will be available in less than two months) and prep your PC so that it’s ready to download on the first day that it becomes available.
Why You Should Upgrade To Windows 10
All Windows upgrades offers benefits over their predecessors; especially when it comes to support for new hardware, functional improvements, built-in apps, and more. In fact, Windows 10 fixes the biggest issues that users were complaining about in Windows 8 i.e. this version has a new Start menu as well as universal apps that can be ran in windowed form side-by-side with other apps on the desktop. Other advantages include:
- A voice-activated Cortana digital assistant
- A real notification center
- A new virtual desktops feature
- Deeper integration with Xbox console
Displaying the Windows 10 Upgrade Icon If It’s Not Visible
For those of us who are looking forward to the upgrade to Windows 10 but have not yet received the notification, never fear, there is a simple fix to this issue. Before we delve deeper into this issue, it is important to note that the notification only displays in the OS’s system tray area if your computer has certain updates installed.
Unfortunately, this functionality doesn’t display on some systems; even if all the prerequisites are met. Thankfully, there are some steps that can be taken to fix this issue.
If you have all of the necessary updates but are still not seeing the notification, no worries, there is a script that is available on Dropbox that will allow you to download it to your system. To the begin the upgrade to Windows 10 simply extract the archive and run the file, win10fix_full.exe with administrator rights. If you are not sure how to do this, just right click on the file and select the “run as administrator” option to get started.
- Once you have extracted the file, click (1) to run an ‘update status check’ to double check that all of the required updates have been installed on your system.
- If all the updates are on your system, run methods (2), (3), and (4) consecutively. One of these methods should display the Windows 10 upgrade icon in the system tray area. This method may sound a little complicated but, the batch script will explain each method so that you know what each one does.
The Bottom Line: Upgrade to Windows 10
The soon-to-be released free Windows 10 OS download is set to fix all of the issues that are in Windows 8. These fixes, along with the new features that will be available, promise to make this Windows version the best one to date. Our professional on-site computer technicians can help your home or business computer to begin the upgrade to Windows 10 today.